Tomato and olive roasted chicken is so simple and delicious. The great thing is, the dish can be made, from beginning to end, in one pan. In doing this, the flavor of the ingredients come together to create a juice that is out of this world. I’ve seldom tasted anything this good. Try it and impress your dinner guests.
There are a few suggestions to making this delicious baked chicken recipe:
First, the recipe uses full chicken legs, but any cut of chicken can be used. For example, you can use breasts, legs, drumsticks, etc. I do suggest a cut with the bone in and skin on. Boneless, skinless breasts can be used, but they might be on the dry side.
We use a plump and juicy manzanilla olives. You can get them in the deli of just about any grocery store. They are a little on the pricy side, but well worth it. In a pinch, the olives you get in the jar will do.
In terms of the tomatoes, heirloom really create a nice effect due to the variety of colors and sizes. If you can’t locate them, simple cherry tomatoes or any other type of tomato will suffice. If using a whole tomato, you might want to consider quartering them.
I season the dish with salt, pepper, and thyme. You can, however, use the spices of your choice. For example, rosemary and sage always go nicely with chicken. It’s best to use fresh spices but dried can be used, as well.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 2 full chicken legs
- 1 box of multicolored small tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic, whole
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 10 large olives
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- Add some olive oil to a cast iron pan. Place the chicken legs in, and sear them over high heat until a crispy, golden brown sear is achieved. This should take about 2 or 3 minutes on each side. If you don’t have a cast iron pan, you can use a frying pan. After searing the chicken, it can be transferred to a baking dish.
- Turn off the heat and add in the tomatoes, garlic, olives, and thyme. Arrange them so they are evenly distributed and a colorful effect is achieved. Drizzle some olive oil over the top.
- Place the pan in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is about 160 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken for the oven, serve, and enjoy your one pan tomato and olive baked chicken.