Pandesal’s origins come from Spain. It is a bread made with yeast, flour, eggs, and salt. It is usually served for breakfast with jam, cheese, peanut butter, or sausages. It is a terrific addition to a coffee or hot chocolate. Every Filipino has grown up with this special bread. Sometimes, it is sold early in the morning by local kids shouting “Pandesal’.” At other times, Filipinos will go to the local bakery. No matter how far away it is found, Filipinos will go there to fulfill their breakfast needs.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- extra flour for dusting
- 1 pack (4 g) instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 fresh egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup warm fresh milk
- 1/4 cup warm water about 110 degrees F
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Servings: 5
- Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Level: Advanced
- Cuisine: Filipino
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions[/btn]
- Combine yeast and water about 110 degrees with a teaspoon of sugar. Stir and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes until mixture is foamy.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, baking powder. Mix until well combined.
- Add in egg, vegetable oil, melted butter, warm milk, and yeast mixture. Mix well until dough like.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead at least 10 minutes or until become smooth and elastic.
- Mold the dough into a round shape. Place back into a bowl and cover using plastic or damped cloth. Allow to rise in a warm spot for about an hour.
- After an hour, put the dough back on floured surface. Divide into 4 equal parts. Roll each part until forming a log or loaf shape. Slice into individual pieces. (You can make 4 pieces from each log).
- Dredge in a bowl of bread crumbs. Arrange in a baking pan (with a baking sheet). Leave spaces between each pandesal. Cover with damp cloth. Allow to sit and rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with hot coffee. Enjoy!