Pork hamonado is sliced sweet pork, which is often served during festive holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving. It resembles sliced ham but is often thick, juicy, and exceptionally sweet. There are many ways of cooking pork hamonado. As with anything else, a greater effort will yield an outcome which is more appetizing than pleasing. The easiest way of preparing it is to cut the pork into bite sizes, then simply stew it with the pineapple chunks and pineapple juice.
Make sure you marinate the pork and soak it well to absorb the marinating sauce. You can also bake the pork in an oven to make sure it’s cooked evenly. So, make your pork hamonado this weekend or holiday and enjoy it with your family and guests.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 kilo pork loin or ham sliced thinly
- 2 cups pineapple juice for marinating
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup soy sauce for marinating
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 whole pickles sliced into strips
- 1 small carrot sliced into strips (optional)
- 3-4 wieners or hotdogs
- cooking oil
- Servings: 4
- Time: 2 hours
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Place ham on flat surface. Arrange the pickles, wieners, and carrot in the center of ham.
- Roll and form into a log. Secure the roll by putting cooking string. Make sure the string is tight to hold the roll.
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, pineapple juice, pepper, and sugar. Stir until well combined.
- Place the meat roll in a deep container and pour the mixture over it. Cover and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 1-3 hours. Overnight is preferred, however.
- After marinating, remove the pork and keep about 1 cup of marinating juices.
- Add the cooking oil to a preheated pan. Put in the marinated pork roll and sear it over a medium high heat until all sides are light brown. Approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of marinating juices and pineapple chunks. Simmer over medium heat approximately 30-40 minutes or until the sauce thickens. You will need to flip the pork rolls from side to side every 15 minutes.
- When sauce thickens, remove the pork and place it on a platter. Remove cooking string and slice into serving pieces.
- Pour the sauce over the pork hamonado rolls. Serve and Enjoy!