The other night I was trying to come up with a meatball recipe for the entire family. I thought of beef, chicken, and then suddenly pork came to mind. Pork recipes are an old standby anyway. Then it came to mind that pork would be so nice with garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, etc. But there needed something else and ricotta cheese dawned on me and that is how pork ricotta meatballs were born. They make a great midweek meal and are fantastic served up with rice or potatoes. The great thing is the entire dish can be made in about 35 minutes.
I always bake the meatballs up with some broccoli and lemon wedges which create a wonderful taste. You can use a different veggie such as asparagus or cauliflower if you wish. I mention in the video that you don’t have to use pork, beef or chicken would suffice as well. Whatever meat you choose, use some with a bit of fat on it or the meatballs will become too dry. You can always fry them but I like them baked as I feel they are healthier.
This dish is great done on the barbeque in the summertime as well. The meatballs are great done up with some barbequed potatoes and onions. Don’t forget a nice glass of wine or beer. As always, give our pork ricotta meatballs a try and let us know what you think.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Watch the Video:[/btn]
- For the Meatballs:
- 3/4 kilo or 1 1/2 lbs of medium ground pork
- 1/2 cup of Italian or Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp of fresh parley
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp of crushed pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- oil for the baking dish
- 10 – 12 florets of broccoli
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 425 F or 220 C.
- Add the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, mix until well combined.
- Brush some oil onto the bottom of a baking dish. Place the broccoli and lemon wedges around the bottom.
- Pick up some of the pork and roll it into a small golfball shape.
- Add the meatballs between the broccoli and lemon.
- Place in the oven and bake them for about 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your pork ricotta meat balls.