Southern style fried chicken is an old traditional recipe in the South. It is a simple recipe made with chicken coated with batter and flour. It is sometimes referred to as buttermilk fried chicken. Traditionally, fried chicken is best when deep fried in hot cooking oil. The oil can be peanut oil, corn oil, vegetable oil or even olive oil, depending on your preference.
There are many styles of cooking fried chicken. It can be easy and simple. The main challenge is making the chicken crispy and delicious. The same as that of any fast food such as the famous “chicken joy” of jollibees or the “zinger burger” from KFC. Perhaps the secret is in the ingredients contained in the coating and the method used form deepfrying. When deep frying, make sure the oil is at the right temperature of 350 degrees F. Use a thermometer if necessary. When the oil is too hot, it will burn the outside part if the chicken, and it will become bitter in taste. Deep fry the chicken over medium low heat to ensure the chicken is cooked without burning it. Another tip is to deep fry it in batches, and don’t overload the deep fryer with chicken or it will not cook properly. No matter what the occasion, fried chicken is surely hit for the entire family!
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1000 g chicken any cut
- cooking oil for frying
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh milk
- 3 drops chili s or Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
For dredging/ coating:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Servings: 4
- Time: 35 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Combine all dredging ingredients in a Ziploc bag. Adjust seasoning according to your preferences. Place the chicken in and shake until well combined. Keep the remaining breading mixture in a bowl for second coating. Set aside chicken in a large baking tray with a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggwash ingredients. Dip each piece of chicken using a thongs until coated well on all sides. Dredge each chicken again with remaining dredging mixture. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan at about 350 degrees F. Deep fry chicken in batches until crispy and golden brown – approximately 10-15 minutes depending on the size of chicken. Don’t overload the deep fryer with the chicken or it will not cook properly.
- When cooked, remove chicken and set aside on a platter with paper towel.
- Serve with favorite condiments and enjoy!