Sponge cake (Mamon as it’s called in the Philippines) is a Filipino yellow sponge cake made with a few simple ingredients such as eggs, flour and sugar. It is sweet, soft and spongy. This delcious dessert comes in different shapes and flavors, as well.
In the Philippines, you can see mamon made into many shapes such as bananas, oblongs, and more. We all hate complicated recipes, so we have made this sponge cake as simple and easy as possible. You simply need a few basic ingredients. The other bonus is you don’t need a large quantity of eggs. I will not make this introduction any longer as you probably want to start making mamon for your kids. So, here are the ingredients.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (12 tbsp) butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 raw eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Time: 1 hour
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino, American, Spanish
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer or whisk until creamy. Make sure the butter is at room temperature.
- Pour the vanilla and the first egg in. Beat until it’s well combined. Add the next egg and beat it. Add in the last egg and beat it.
- Then sift the flour and baking powder to the bowl. Fold it, using spatula, until it’s smooth and no shades of flour are evident.
- Line a muffin tray with muffin cups. Spray each cup with baking spray.
- Fill each cup with batter using an ice cream scooper or spoon until 3/4 full.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for at least 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in wire wrack. Serve and enjoy you sponge cake.