This strawberry shortcake is so simple and delicious. We altered the recipe so you can make it up in under an hour. Late summer is the perfect time to make this cake because strawberries are in season and they are so fresh. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
There are a few tips to making this strawberry shortcake. We use whole strawberries and quarter them. You can, however, mash some of the berries and combine them with the quarters to get a different texture and effect. More or less sugar can be added, as well. We use milk as it contains less fat and calories. If you are so inclined and want a richer, creamier cake, you can use half and half or heavy cream. I like the cake round, but that’s merely my personal preference. You can make the cake any shape you wish. This recipe makes about an 8 inch cake. If you want a larger cake, simply double or triple the recipe.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- For the Berries:
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 tsp of sugar
- For the Cake:
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- For the Cream:
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the all purpose flour with the baking powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk until everything is well combined.
- Add in the butter. Using your finger tips or a couple of forks or knives, mix until it becomes coarse like.
- Put the milk into a bowl, crack the egg in, and beat it. Make a well in the center of the flour and butter mixture and add the milk in. Mix until it’s combined and a dough forms. It might be a little sticky, but that’s okay.
- Lightly flour a surface, put the dough on it, even it out, and form it into a round shape. Put the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let it rest for 5 or 10 minutes. Place it in the oven and allow it to bake for 15 to 20 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the shortcake from the oven and allow it to cool off for a few minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the cake in half so you have a top and a bottom portion. Spoon some strawberries and juice over the bottom part followed by some whipped cream. Place the top on and add some more cream and strawberries to it.
- Serve and enjoy your strawberry shortcake.