Sweet and spicy tofu is a quick, healthy, and delicious dish. It can be thrown together in a matter of minutes. When making this dish be sure to use a good, extra firm tofu. Spending a little bit of extra will pay off in the end as the fried tofu will be firm and rich. Make sure that you don’t over fry the tofu as it will become too crunchy. When dredging the tofu in cornstarch, you can do it batches, and don’t hesitate to use your hands to make it faster. As a substitute for the sugar, you can use honey to make it healthier. You can replace the hot pepper flakes with fresh chopped red chili. When frying the tofu, unless you have it drained very well, you may want to place a lid over the pan to prevent any oil from splashing back on you. To make it healthier, you can use coconut oil, peanut oil, or canola oil. We tried it with olive and it works great. This dish is great for any occasion. You can serve it up as a finger food, appetizer, with rice, or with you main dish. Make this today. Your family and friends will love it.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 300g extra firm tofu
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of vinegar
- 1 tbsp of hot pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 1 thumb size ginger, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- spring onions
- vegetable oil
- Servings: 2
- Time: 40 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Asian
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Pat the tofu dry using a paper towel. Make sure there is as little water as possible left in it.Cut the tofu into cubes. Dredge it in corn starch, making sure it is coated on all sides.
- Add vegetable oil to a preheated pan. Use about 1/4 of a cup depending on the size of the pan. Place the tofu in and fry it in batches, over medium heat, until it’s golden brown.
- Once it’s golden brown, remove it from the pan, and set it aside on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Make the sauce by adding the sugar, sesame oil, chopped garlic, ginger, chili flakes, soy sauce, water, pepper, and vinegar to a saucepan. Over medium low heat, simmer the sauce until it becomes bubbly. Set it aside.
- Now, place the fried tofu on a plate or platter and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle it with some chopped spring onions and sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy your sweet and spicy tofu. Enjoy!