In this recipe we discuss how to cook the perfect roast beef done to a gorgeous medium rare. The process is fairly straight forward. It involves seasoning the beef, on all sides, with a combination of of spices such as thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. We coat the roast with olive and then rub the spices into all sides. It should be noted to ensure that the roast is at room temperature. I leave mine out for about six hours. You can also use additional spices or less spices depending on what you like. For example, oregano, etc. would not go amiss.
Next, the roast is placed in a baking tray lined with foil and placed into a 500 degree F or 260 degrees C preheated oven for 5 minutes per pound. Do not use a glass container or baking tray as it will not withstand the heat. My roast was about 3.36 pounds, so I left it about 17 minutes or so. After about 17 minutes, the heat is turned off and the roast is left in the oven to bake for 15 minutes per pound. It is very “important not to open the oven door at all.” In the case of this roast, I left it for 50 minutes, pulled it out, and allowed it to rest for an additional 15 minutes.
During the cooking process, the meat does release juices which can be used to make a wonderful, delicious gravy. I know, the method sounds a bit odd and sounds somewhat frightening if not intimidating, but believe me, it works. You will end up with a superb medium rare roast of beef. If you want to increase the level of doneness to medium or well done, leave it a little longer such as 20 minutes for medium and longer for well done.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Watch the Video:[/btn]
- 1 round roast or the roast of your choice around 3 pounds or 1.4 kg at room temperature
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- olive oil
- For the Gravy:
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 3/4 cup of beef stock
- juices from the roast
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F or 260 degrees C.
- Line a metal baking tray with aluminum foil.
- Place the thyme, rosemary, pepper, salt, and garlic into a small bowl and mix until well combined.
- Rub the top of the roast with olive oil and message the spices in. Do the same for the other side.
- Place the roast in the oven and bake for 5 minutes per pound.
- Turn the heat off (do not open the oven door) and allow to roast for an additional 15 minutes per pound.
- Remove the roast from the oven and allow to rest for an additional 15 minutes.
- To Make the Gravy:
- While the roast is resting, add the butter to a pan over medium heat and allow it to melt down. Put the flour in and whisk until a roux forms. Keep whisking until desired level of brownness is achieved.
- Add in the juices from the roast and the beef stock. Whisk until well incorporated and the gravy thickens.
- Slice the beef, pour the gravy over, and serve with the vegetables of your choice.