Tuna melts are fast, easy, and delicious. They are basically tuna salad placed on a piece of bread with some cheese over the topped. Then, they are simply placed in the oven for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt. They are a great snack anytime of the day. Believe me the kids will love them.
The are a few cooking tip for these tasty little treats. This recipe provides you with my version of a nicely balanced tuna salad. As always, nothing is written in stone, so feel free to alter the ingredients or use your favorite tuna salad recipe. You can also add a little more, or a little less, of this and that. The same applies to the cheese. I use a sharp cheddar, but you can use just about any type of cheese. In my last tuna melt, I used sharp cheddar with a bit of Edam grated over the top. It was really nice, so feel free to experiment. The same rule applies to the bread. Five minutes on broil is the perfect cooking time as the bread is a little crunchy and the cheese is nicely melted. You could leave them in a couple of minutes longer if you want the bread a little more crunchy and the cheese browned.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 (184 gram) can of tuna, drained
- 1/2 tsp of parsley (optional)
- 2 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of spring onions, finely chopped
- dusting of garlic powder
- 2 pieces if bread
- 1 tbsp of chopped celery
- 1/2 cup of grated cheese of your choice
- Yield: 2
- Time: 10 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Method:[/btn]
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Add the tuna, parsley, onions, celery, garlic, and mayo to a mixing bowl. Season it with salt and pepper. Using a spoon or spatula, mix until everything is well combined.
- Place the bread on a baking pan. Spread the tuna evenly over the top of each piece of bread and add the cheese over the top.
- Place the tuna melts in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes depending on how crunchy you want the bread.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy your tuna melts.