Super Crispy Onion Rings
Onions rings are one of my all time favourites, especially when they are super crispy. On the other hand, I’m picky in terms of how they are made and how they taste. In my opinion, they need to be super crispy, have some spice, and heat. Many onion rings I have had just do not come up to these standards. In light of this, I decided to make my own onion ring recipe. Believe me, these onion rings are super crispy and delicious. I love them with burgers or hotdogs or just solo.
A couple of things that should be mentioned. First off, You can use just about any type of onion, but just make sure it is fairly large. In the batter, I use sparkling water but club soda, water, or milk can also be used. It is best, however, to have something with a bit of a fizz to it. Any type of breadcrumb can be use, but I use Panko as it produces a nice think ring with a bit more crunch.
Give our onion rings a try and let us know what you think.
- 1 large onion sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- ¾ cup of all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of corn starch
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of cold sparkling water
- I cup of Panko bread crumbs or as much as needed
- Divide the onion rings into various sizes.
- Add the flour, corn starch, cayenne pepper, salt, and ground black pepper to a bowl. whisk until well combined.
- Add in the water a little at a time and whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Drop a ring in and roll it until it is completely covered in the batter.
- Place the ring into the bread crumbs and shake the bowl until completely coated.
- Repeat the process for all of the onion rings and set them aside on a plate.
- Add 2 or 3 inches of oil to a pan and heat to 350 degree F or 170 C.
- Fry the rings, in batches, until they are golden brown. This will take 3 minutes or so, but there is really no set time.
- Remove them from the pan and set them aside on a wire rack.
- Serve with your favourite condiment and enjoy your super crispy onion rings.