Baked chicken with Swiss cheese is simple and delicious. It makes a perfect mid-week dinner, especially if you are strapped for time. These chicken breast are perfect served up with some mashed potatoes or rice. A garden salad makes a nice side dish, as well.
I usually use boneless skinless chicken breast as they seem to be healthiest and produce the best results. A simple dusting of salt and pepper on both sides seasons the breasts nicely. In terms of the soup, just about any brand will do; although, I prefer Campbell’s cream of mushroom.
The stuffing is truly what makes or breaks the dish. We have an excellent recipe for homemade stuffing. This is a little time consuming but well worth the effort. If you are in a hurry, a box of Stove Top stuffing will suffice. I suggest the cornbread for best results.
You can also use other types of cheese with the dish. If you are using a lighter and less dense cheese such as cheddar, add the cheese directly on top of the chicken and the stuffing over the top. If you don’t do this, the cheese will burn on you.
This is also a great recipe for leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and Christmas. All you have to do is substitute the chicken with turkey and reduce the baking time to about 25 minutes.[hr][wpsr_facebook][wpsr_pinterest][wpsr_stumbleupon][wpsr_linkedin][hr][two_third][btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 3/4 oz 305g) can of cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 cups homemade or stove-top stuffing or 1 box of Stovetop stuffing
- slices of Swiss cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock or water
- Servings: 4
- Level: Easy
- Time: 1 hour
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken on a plate. Season it with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the chicken stock in the microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds – just enough to make it warm. Add in the cream of mushroom soup and and the crushed garlic. Mix until it’s well combined.
- Add the mixture to a casserole dish. Place the chicken in and evenly distribute it around the dish. Put the stuffing over the top. Then, arrange the Swiss cheese over it.
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake it for 55 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, plate, and serve. Enjoy your baked chicken with Swiss cheese.