South Asian braised beef originated in Indonesia. The dish uses kecap manis as a key ingredient. Sweet soy sauce, which is thicker than regular soy sauce, can be purchased at any Asian store. Regular soy sauce can be substituted by adding brown sugar to make it sweet. Any cut of beef can be used. Of course, the higher the quality, the tenderer the meat will be.
Like other Filipino dishes, we use a technique called braising. This makes the meat tender and flavorful as oppose to leaving the meat on a low fire for a longer time. We use a cinnamon stick for added flavor. Ground cinnamon, however, can be also be used as substitute. One stick of cinnamon is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
South Asian braised beef is delicious and relatively simple to make. Serve this up with steamed rice.If you want a taste of Indonesia, give this a try.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1/2 kilo of beef, cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1/4 cup of sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 1 cinnamon stick 0r 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
- cooking oil
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp of pepper or pepper to taste
- 6 cherry or plumb tomatoes cut into quarters.
- Servings: 3-4
- Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Indonesian
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Cut the beef into large chunks and remove any excess fat.
- Add some cooking oil to a preheated pan. Place the beef in and sear it over medium high heat until it browns. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add in the cumin, garlic, and pepper. Stir for for about a minute until the cumin activates.
- Pour in the beef stock and sweet soy sauce. Add in the tomatoes and the cinnamon stick. Bring it to a boil. Place a lid over it, reduce the heat to low, and allow it to simmer for one hour.
- After an hour, place the potatoes in and allow it to simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve and enjoy your south Asian braised beef.