Egg rolls are a great snack or finger food. There are a variety of ways to make them, but this is our version which I find really tasty. I always make them up for parties and my guests simply love them. They make a great leftover as they last for a few days in the fridge. You can also make up a batch, freeze them, and fry them at a later date.
There are a few tips and variations to making egg rolls. First, you can use your choice of vegetables. Mine are just a combination of carrots and cabbage. Actually, I cheat and buy a premade bag of coleslaw which works just fine. You can alter the amount of garlic and ginger you put in. The wrappers you can pick up in any Asian store or major supermarket. If you can’t find egg roll wrappers, you can use spring rolls. We use ground pork in the recipe but ground chicken or beef can be used as well. If you want your egg rolls meatless, simply leave the meat out. The sesame oil really adds a nice aroma, but it’s totally optional. Many people don’t stock it in their pantry. You can fry with the oil of your choice, but we often use vegetable oil. A deep fryer is the best but a pan will suffice, as well.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 1/4 kilo of ground pork or meat of your choice
- 3 cups of mixed vegetables (carrots and cabbage)
- 15 egg roll wrapper
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 thumb size ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 1 egg, fried and chopped
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 10 drops of sesame oil
- Beat an egg and put it in a pan over medium heat. Cook until set and cut into smaller chunks.
- Add some oil to a preheated pan. Place the garlic and ginger in and saute them for about 30 seconds, over high heat, until they are fragrant.
- Place the ground pork in and stir and fry until the pork is browned. Add in the soy sauce and pepper. Saute and stir for another minute or so until well combined. Set it aside in a bowl.
- Place some vegetable oil in a pan or deep fryer and heat it to 350 degrees F or 177 C.
- Add in the mixed veggies, egg, and sesame oil to the ground pork mixture. Using two spoons, toss until everything is well combined.
- Lay an egg roll on the counter so it forms a triangle shape with one of the tips pointing to your stomach. Spread some water around all of the edges. Place two heaping tablespoons of the mixture into the center. Fold the outside edges towards the center similar to an envelope. Then fold the edge closest to you into the center, tuck it under the mixture, and roll it into a log shape.
- Place the egg rolls into the oil. Fry them, in batches, for about 4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown. Drain the excess oil.
- Serve them with your favorite condiment and enjoy your egg rolls.