Chicken pastel is a stewed chicken baked in a crust. The recipe is Spanish in origin and is often referred to as chicken pot pie in America. This dish, however, can be cooked without the crust simply by baking the fillings in an oven with the grated cheese on top. If you want to make it creamier, then simply add more cream; and, of course, less cream if you want it thicker. In this recipe, we use cheese only to make it less fattening. Chicken pastel is creamy, delicious, and a must to try. In the West, this dish is simply referred to as chicken pie.
- 4 large boneless chicken breast cut into cubes
- 2 medium potatoes cut into cubes
- 1 small carrot diced
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms chopped
- 1 green bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 sausages or hotdogs, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 grated cheese or whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp. butter
For pie crust: 2 (9 inch. pie shells)
- 3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 tbsp. cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup of ice water
- Servings: 4
- Time: 2 hours, crust making included
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino, Spanish
(3.5 / 5)
- Melt butter in pan. Saute onion and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add in chicken and saute for a few minutes until light brown.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, mushroom, green peas, sausages. Season with salt and pepper. Stir together for a few minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- After a boil, sprinkle grated cheese. Stir over medium low heat until sauce thickens. Turn off heat and let it cool down.
- Place filling in the pie shell and cover with a pie shell top. Punch hole on top of the crust using fork before baking the chicken pastel.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the pastel about 30 – 40 minutes or until crust is browned.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- To make the pie crust: Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Put in butter and shortening. Mix using fork or finger tips until the mixture is crumbly. In separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, vinegar and ice water. Slowly add it to flour mixture and mix continuously using fork until dough comes together. Divide the dough into two equal part and form into a ball. Wrap with plastic and place it in fridge for about an hour. Flatten each dough using rolling pin to 9 inch diameter.
Share This Recipe