Homemade Crispy Fried Chicken and Gravy
Homemade Crispy Fried Chicken and Gravy is one of my all time favorites. Much of its origins stem from the southern United States. There is nothing better than southern fried chicken, as many folks would say south of the Mason Dixon Line. It is a relatively easy recipe but can become complex depending on the ingredients used. Southern fried chicken can be served at various occasions and is especially appropriate at gatherings such as birthday parties.
When frying the chicken, the oil should be at 350 degrees. it is important to try and do it all in one batch as the viscosity of the oil will change with additional batches. In other words, the oil will become thinner causing the chicken to burn. I usually use Crisco oil for best results.
- 1 whole dressed chicken cut in serving pieces
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 fresh eggs
- 4 tbsp. fresh milk
- 2 tsp. paprika powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken sock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Servings: 4
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
(5 / 5)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix until everything is well combined.
- In separate bowl, combine the eggs and milk. Whisk until it’s smooth.
- First, dredge the chicken into the flour mixture. Then, dip it into the egg mixture. Last, dredge it in the the flour mixture again. Make sure it’s well coated. Set it aside on a plate.
- Deep fry chicken, in batches, in hot cooking oil at 350 degrees F. until it turns brown and becomes crispy. This should take approximately 8 – 10 minutes depending on the size of the chicken. Set it aside on a platter lined with a paper towel to absorb the oil.
- To make the homemade gravy, melt the butter in a pan over medium low heat. Add the flour in. Stir it well until the flour is fully dissolved and a roux forms.
- Pour in half the chicken stock. Whisk it continuously until it’s well combined and fairly smooth. Turn off the heat, add in the remaining stock, and whisk until the gravy is smooth, thick, and lump free. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy your homemade crispy fried chicken and gravy!
Share This Recipe