Pininyahang Manok sa Gata
Pininyahang manok sa gata is a delicious Filipino main dish. It is commonly made with chicken and stewed in pineapple and coconut milk. This dish is usually presented during parties, fiestas, and other special occasions. As a result of being a rich and tasty soup, it is great spooned over steamed rice. I always do this when I eat it at Fiestas. Another variation of this recipe is using plain milk instead of coconut milk. In our one of our previous videos, we used fresh milk. The outcome is great, but the texture and taste is a little bit different. Coconut milk makes the recipe to be authentic. We also add potatoes and carrots in this recipe. These are optional, of course. You can make the dish without them by simply using red or green bell pepper. Make our pininyahang manok today. I’m sure you will love it.
- 1 whole chicken cut in serving pieces
- 1 can coconut milk
- 12 oz pineapple chunks
- 1 cup (juices from pineapple chunks can)
- 2 medium potatoes cut in bite size
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 small carrot cut in bite size
- 1 red or green bell pepper cut in cubes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- fish sauce to taste
- pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Servings: 5
- Time: 50 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Filipino
(5 / 5)
- Marinate chicken in pineapple juice for 30 minutes to 3 hours.
- After marinating drain the chicken and save the juices.
- Add cooking oil to a preheated pan. Sear the chicken in batches until the outer parts turn light brown.
- Add the onion, garlic, and tomatoes. Season with fish sauce and pepper. Stir until soft and fragrant.
- Pour marinating juices and coconut milk in. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for at least 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir occasionally to avoid curdling.
- When tender, add the potatoes and carrots. Simmer for at least 10 minutes until partially tender.
- Lastly, add the pineapple chunks and the red bell pepper. Stir and simmer for a few minutes. Turn off heat.
- Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!
Share This Recipe