Albondigas is a famous Mexican meatballs soup made with meatballs, tomatoes and spices. It is rich with a lot of flavor in it and perfect for winter and rainy days. This recipe had been popular serve in any Tapaz bar not only in Mexico but all over Latin countries like Spain, Chile etc. There are many variations of this recipe, depending on the country you are. The concept is making a meatballs and stewed in soup. Meatballs can be ground pork beef, etc. Spices are optional in making the meatballs as well. Some people prefer to spice the soup and some people (like me) want to spice the meatballs. In this recipe we prefer to add lots of seasoning to our meatballs, because we want them to become tastier every bite of it.
In the Philippines we have our own variation of Albodigas. Locals often called it Almondigas instead. This has a clear soup and used basic ingredients for meatballs. Like this recipe, it is super delicious. We will show how to make Filipino Almondigas in the next cooking blog.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 lb lean ground beef or pork
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1 raw egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups beef or chicken stock
- 12 oz (1 1/2 cup) crushed or stewed tomatoes
- 1 small onion chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Servings: 5
- Time: 45 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Spanish
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Combine the meatballs ingredients. Make a ball shape about an inch. (Use your palm so it will not fall apart). Set aside.
- In a large pot, combine the soup ingredients and bring to a boil.
- After a boil, carefully drop the meatballs to the soup. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for at least 30-40 minutes or until meatballs are cooked. Turn off heat.
- Serve hot and Enjoy!