Chilli chicken is hot, spicy, and delicious. I make it up many times a year especially for parties and social events. Believe me, your family and friends will love it.
As usual, I am a fan of boneless, skinless breasts, but you can use the chicken cut of your choice. Make sure, however, to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
You can use the soy sauce of your choice. Regular soy sauce is used in this recipe but malt or Thai can be used too.
I marinate for only 10 to 15 minutes but it can be left overnight. As always, the longer the better.
Chicken stock is used in the recipe, but you can use water too. Again, use the soy sauce of your choice for the sauce. More or less ketchup can be used. Adjust the chilli sauce according to your taste.
The dish is great served up over a bed of steamed rice.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
Chilli Chicken in 30 Minutes
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 chillies
- 1 thumb size ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tbsp of ketchup
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of chilli sauce
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 tbsp of vinegar
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- Add the chicken to a bowl followed by the soy sauce, egg, and cornstarch. Mix until well combined. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To make the sauce combine the chicken stock, soy sauce, ketchup, chilli sauce, vinegar, cornstarch,and sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Add about an inch of oil to a preheated pan and heat until 350 F of 177 C.
- Fry the chicken, in the oil, until golden brown. Set aside on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Remove the oil and add some olive oil. Put in the garlic and ginger and fry until fragrant.
- Add the bell peppers, chillies, onions, and stir and fry until the onions are translucent.
- Pour the sauce in and stir and boil until it thickens.
- Add the chicken back in and toss until completely coated.
- Serve and enjoy your chilli chicken.