Our creamy asparagus casserole is a fantastic side dish for any occasion. I often make it up with proteins such as chicken or beef; although the dish can be served and it pairs well with any meat. Made with fresh asparagus, cream of mushroom soup, and a basic combination of spices, it is a mouthwatering delight for any gathering.
As always, there are a few changes you can make to the dish. I use some basic spices such and pepper and garlic, but you can add the spices of your choice. For example, some hot pepper flakes would not go amiss just to add some heat. Parmesan cheese is placed in the dish as I like the sweetness of the cheese, but any kind of cheese such as mozzarella could be used too. The cheese is so good because when you stick the fork into the casserole its gooey goodness just shines through.
One pointer is to make sure your asparagus is fresh and cut off the ends off as it can be fairly fibrous. I don’t, but you can blanch the asparagus before place it in the dish as well. Panko bread crumbs make a great choice for the topping, but Italian or any type of bread crumbs can be used.
Try our asparagus casserole and let us know what you think.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Watch the Video:[/btn]
- 1 bundle of asparagus, boiled until tender, ends cut off, and cut in half
- cooking spray
- 10 oz of 280 g can of cream of asparagus soup
- 1 cup of half and half cream
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp of melted unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 375 F or 190 C
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and place asparagus into the center.
- Pour the soup into a bow followed by the cream. Add in the pepper, garlic powder, and half the parmesan cheese. Mix until well incorporated.
- Spread the soup mixture oven the asparagus, leaving about a one inch gap at each edge.
- Lay a bit more asparagus, facing the opposite way, over the asparagus. This is for presentation purposes only.
- Place the casserole into the oven for 10 Minutes.
- To make the Topping:
- Add the parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and butter to a small mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- After 10 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven, sprinkle the topping over it, and place it back in the oven for another 10 minutes or until the bread crumbs have browned.
- Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy your asparagus casserole.