Banoffee pie involves 3 simple ingredients, so it’s incredibly easy to make. Don’t let this fool you, however, this is one of the most delicious pies I have ever had. It was originally developed in England and migrated around the world. The most time consuming part of the recipe is boiling the condensed milk. Believe me, it’s well worth the wait. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
There are a few tips to making this delicious banoffee pie. First, you can use any brand of condensed milk. It’s important to remove the label and allow it to simmer in water for at least three hours to achieve the desired texture. It’s likewise essential to make sure the water is at least an inch over the top of the can; otherwise, it could explode. I check it about every half an hour to ensure the water level doesn’t drop too much. Once it’s boiled, let it cool completely. You could get away with using the canned caramel sauce, but I find it makes the pie too watery. In this recipe, we use store bought Graham crust. If you want to make the Graham crust from scratch, we have a great recipe. Simple click on the highlighted link. I like to use fairly ripe bananas, but you can use the bananas of your choice. Lastly, make sure you use whipping cream with at least 30 percent fat to make sure it whips up well.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 300 ml of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 graham pie shell
- 2 bananas. sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 500 ml of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate shavings
- In a deep pot, bring some water to a soft boil. Remove the label from the condensed milk and place the can in the pot of boiling water. Make sure the top of the can is covered with at least an inch of water; otherwise, it might explode. Reduce the heat and allow the condensed milk to simmer over medium low heat for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.. Check it occasionally to ensure the water level remains above the top of the can.
- Remove it from the water and allow it to cool completely.
- Pour half the cooled condensed milk into the graham pie shell.
- Place the sliced bananas over the top.
- Pour the whipping cream into a bowl and beat it until you get stiff peaks. This will take about 5 minutes or so.
- Spread the whipped cream over the bananas, place it in the fridge, and allow it to set for at least two hours, overnight is preferred.
- After the pie has set, remove it from the fridge and sprinkle the chocolate shavings over the top. Slice and enjoy your banoffee pie.