Crispy Pata is a deep fried pork leg or limb served with a soy sauce and vinegar dipping sauce. It is similar to lechon kawali. The only difference is the cut of meat used. But they are both similar in taste. It is called crispy pata because when the pork leg (pata) is deep fried in hot cooking oil, blisters start to come out and the skin becomes crispy. This dish has become more and more popular in many Filipino restaurants and is often served with atchara on the side.
During deep frying, try to cover the pan partially. This will lessen the possibility of hot oil splashing. If you don’t have enough oil, you may flip the pata from side to side to ensure an even cook. When the pata is fully cooked, it will begin to blister.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 whole pata pork leg (2 lbs. with knuckles)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tbsp. whole peppercorn
- ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- enough water to cover the meat
- cooking oil
- Servings: 4
- Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Filipino
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Bring some water to a boil in a large pot. Place the pata in. Add the garlic, salt, whole pepper corns, and bay leaves. Simmer over low heat for about 1 hour or until the pork is fork tender. A Pressure cooker will take about 40 minutes.
- When pata is tender, remove it from the pot and drain the excess oil and water off.
- After the pata was drained thoroughly, rub salt and pepper around the meat. At this point in time, you can put it in the fridge for 24 hours to drain well, if you wish. Sprinkle it with flour on all sides.
- In deep frying pan, heat the cooking oil. Deep fry the pork over medium high heat until it’s golden brown and crispy on all sides. Alternatively, you can use turbo broiler or cook it in oven set at 450 – 475 degrees F until all sides are crispy and brown.
- Slice the pata into serving pieces. Serve with atchara, lechon sauce, or soy sauce dipping sauce.
- Enjoy your delicious crispy pata.