Orange chicken is originally Asian, but it has made its way around the world. Made with a simple combination of garlic, ginger, orange juice, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, salt, and pepper, the recipe yields a flavor that’s simply out of this world. This is another one of our midweek meals due to the fact it can be made in about 30 minutes. It’s great served up over a bed of steamed rice and garnished with some spring onions. It’s equally nice over some mashed potatoes. Believe me, you dinner guests, family, and friends will love it.
There are a few suggestion to making this delicious orange chicken recipe. First, we use boneless skinless breasts because they are healthy and easy to work with, but other cuts of chicken can be used too. Just make sure the meat is thawed or at room temperature so it fries evenly.
The chicken is tender and juicy after about 4 or 5 minutes in 350 degree F hot oil. You can measure the temperature with a candy thermometer. If you don’t have one, drop a small piece of chicken in, If it sizzles, you know the oil is ready. I always use vegetable oil, but other types can be used depending on your preference.
You can alter the amounts of the spices you use in the sauce, as well. For example, if you enjoy garlic and ginger, add more; alternatively, if you find them a touch strong, add less. The same rule applies to the salt, pepper, orange zest, etc. Extra ingredients or spices can be added if you like.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- For the Chicken:
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 1 tbsp of flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- For the Sauce:
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 thumb size ginger, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar (optional)
- 1 tsp of orange zest
- 1 tbsp of corn starch diluted in 1 tbsp of water
- Add the chicken to a medium size bowl. In the same bowl, combine the egg, corn starch, flour, salt, and pepper. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, mix until the chicken is well coated.
- Pour some oil into a wok or pan and heat it to 350 degrees F or 177 C.
- Fry the chicken, in batches, for about 4 or 5 minutes or until it’s golden brown. It helps to move the chicken around a bit so it doesn’t stick together.
- Clean your pan or wok and add a bit of oil in. Put the ginger and garlic in and saute them, over medium high heat, until they become fragrant.
- Pour in the orange juice, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, orange zest. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add in the diluted corn starch and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Put the chicken in and toss until it’s completely covered with the sauce.
- Serve over a bed of steamed rice and garnish with some chopped spring onions.
- Enjoy your orange chicken.