Red beans and squash in hoisin sauce is a simple and delicious recipe. I enjoy it as a side dish or served up as a light lunch or snack. It is another recipe that is a big hit at BBQ’s or parties. I served these up last weekend at a BBQ and they were a huge hit.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Tips:[/btn]
I usually soak the beans the night before and boil them the next morning. I like butternut squash, but you can use your favorite squash. It is best to cut the squash along the ribs, peel it, remove the seeds, and cut it into cubes. Cubes about the size of your thumb work best because it will cook in about 10 minutes. I like my squash with a little bit of a crunch to it. If you prefer it softer, you can simply leave it simmer for about 15 minutes or so. If you want a little more sauce or you find it on the dry side, simply add a bit more water. As always, you can tinker a little with the rest of the ingredients. For example, if you are a garlic or ginger lover, add a little bit more. If you are not, simply cut back on it.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 2 cups of red beans
- 3 cups of butternut squash, cubed
- 4 tbsp of hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- Servings: 4
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Asian
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Method:[/btn]
- Heat some vegetable oil in a preheated pan. Add the onion and ginger. Stir and fry them over medium heat until they are fragrant.
- Put the squash in, and stir and fry it over medium heat until it’s just to the point of being fork tender. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Add the red beans. Toss them with the squash for an additional 3 minutes. Add in the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and water. Bring it to a soft boil. Place a lid over and allow it to simmer for an additional 8 to 10 minutes depending on how firm you want your squash.
- Remove it from the heat, put on a plate, and enjoy your red beans and squash in hoisin sauce.