One of my all time favorite fast foods are onions rings. I am, however, fairly fussy in terms of how they are made and how they taste. In my opinion, they need to be super crispy, have some spice, and heat. Many onion rings I have had just do not come up to my standards. In light of this, I decided to make my own recipe. Believe me, these onion rings are super crispy and delicious. The great thing is, they stay crispy for a while. In my experience, other rings go soggy in a matter of minutes. I love them with burgers, steak, or hot dogs or just solo.
As always, you can adjust the spices by adding more or less. It is your call. We use sparkling water in the recipe, but you can use club soda or something like that. Just ensure that it is good and cold. I use white onions, but the onion of your choice can be used. The same with the bread crumbs. I like Panko but any kind can be used.
Give the recipe a try, and let us know what you think.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- large white onion sliced into 1/4 inch strips and divided into rings
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of corn starch
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 cup of cold sparkling water or plain water
- 1 or 2 cups of Panko bread crumbs or the bread crumbs of your choice.
- oil for frying
- Place the bread crumbs in a bowl.
- Add the flour, corn starch, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, and salt to a separate. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour in the water, a little at a time while whisking.
- Drop the rings in the batter, one or two at a time depending on the size of your container, and turn until completely coated.
- Dredge them in the bread crumbs and set them aside on a plate.I find shaking the bowl coats them well.
- Place some oil into a pan and heat to about 350 F or 177 C.
- Fry the onion rings, in batches, until they are golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack to drain.
- Serve your super crispy onion rings up with your favorite condiment and enjoy.