Stuffed bell peppers are simple and easy. They can be made in about 45 min. and served as a main course or side dish. I usually enjoy them as a light main course as they are relatively healthy in spite of having a ground beef base. I sometimes serve some french fries, mashed potatoes, or potato wedges with them. This seems to create a complete meal.
I usually use a lean ground beef as it contains less fat. If you use a fattier ground beef, drain the excess grease off just prior to seasoning it with salt and pepper. Yellow, red, and green bell peppers can be used in this dish depending on your preferences. Just keep in mind that each type of bell pepper has a distinct taste and will alter the outcome of the dish. Red Bell peppers are sweeter in nature; whereas, green bell peppers tend to be little on the sour side. The seasoning is designed to create a perfect blend, but you can adjust it according to your taste. For example, if you’re not a garlic fan, you can cut back or leave it out. If you’re a garlic lover, you can add more. The same holds true for the Worcestershire sire sauce and ketchup.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 4 – 5 medium bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb of lean ground beef
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 3 tbsp of ketchup
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- Servings: 4
- Time: 45 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Add a little bit of oil to a preheated pan. Add in the onions and garlic. Simmer over medium heat for a minute or two until they are fragrant. Add in the ground beef. Stir and simmer it for 4 or 5 minutes until it’s lightly brown. Season it with salt and pepper, stir it one more time, and turn off the heat.
- Put the ground beef into a mixing bowl. Add in the rice, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and egg. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Cut the tops of the bell peppers. Use a sharp knife to remove the core and seeds. Rinse them out with cold water. You might have to trim a bit off the bottoms to make them sit straight.
- Place the filling in the bell pepper and fill them to the top. Put them in a casserole dish.
- Put the stuffed peppers into a 350 degrees preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove the peppers, grate some cheese over the top, and place them back in for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and brown.
- Place the stuffed peppers on a plate, serve, and enjoy.