Cajun Flavored Fried Shrimp
Cajun fried shrimp brings the spices and flavors of the bayou to life. It makes an excellent finger food for parties. I often make it up on the weekends, and they are an instant hit with everybody. Give this tasty shrimp recipe a try and let us know what you think.
When making the Cajun flavored shrimp there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you can use any size or type of shrimp, but keep in mind, the fresher the better. I find if the shrimp are not fresh, they have a fishy taste and smell to them. You can adjust the seasoning according to your liking or simply pick up a bottle in your local grocery store. I like making it from scratch because I can control the amount of each spice that goes in it. I use a deep fryer for consistency. A frying pan with an inch or two of oil will suffice, as well. Four to five minutes in the oil yields nicely browned shrimp, but you might have to adjust the time a little depending on the actual temperature. Remember not to cook it too long as the shrimp will become rubbery.Video:
- ½ kilo of shrimp, deveined, tails left on
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of flour + ¼ cup of cornmeal or (1/2 cup of flour)
- ¾ cup of bread crumbs
- 2 tsp of Cajun seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning:
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- ½ tsp of paprika
- ¼ tsp of pepper
- ¼ tsp of onion powder
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp of oregano
- ¼ tsp of thyme
- ⅛ tsp of red pepper flakes
- Heat your oil to 325 degrees F.
- Add the spices for the Cajun seasoning to a bowl and mix well.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and pour the milk in. Beat well.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, and Cajun seasoning to a third bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Pick up shrimp by the tail, dip it in the egg mixture followed by the flour mixture.
- Put the shrimp in the oil, in batches, and fry them for about 4 minutes until golden brown on each side.
- Serve with your favorite condiment and enjoy your Cajun flavored shrimp.
Share This Recipe