Corned Beef Nilaga
Corned Beef Nilaga is a Filipino beef stew made with corned beef and vegetables. It is similar to traditional nilagang baka but uses canned corned beef. Fresh corned beef can be used, as well. Using the chunky corned beef in a can is less of a hassle, however. It is, nevertheless, equally delicious. Corned beef nilaga is similar in taste, and ingredients. What makes this dish more interesting is the fact that it is a quick, easy and straight forward lutong bahay. Open a can of corned beef, cook it for a few minutes and walla! You have delicious hot soup ready for lunch or dinner. If you are rushing to make lunch for your family, this dish is perfect for you.
- 1 large can chunky corned beef
- 1 beef cube (bouillon)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small cabbage head, shredded
- 1/2 small carrot, cubes (optional)
- 1 small potato, cubed (optional)
- 4 cups or water (or more if desired)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Servings: 3
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Filipino
(3.5 / 5)
- Add cooking oil in a preheated pan. Saute onion, garlic, and tomatoes until fragrant.
Add in the canned corned beef and season with salt and pepper. Stir and saute for a few minutes.
Pour in water and add in the beef bouillon. Bring to a boil.
- After a boil, add the potatoes and carrot. Cover and simmer over medium heat approximately 7 minutes or until tender. (Leave this step our if you don’t have potatoes and carrots on hand).
- When tender, add the cabbage. Simmer for at least 5 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked. Turn off heat.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Share This Recipe