Chocolate sugar cookies are easy to make, involve only a few ingredients, and incredibly tasty. When I make them, they are gone in a couple of hours. They are great with a glass of milk or a cup of tea. Give them a try and let us know what you think.
As with most recipes, there a few ways to alter or personalize the recipe. To begin with, this recipe uses vegetable oil, but any type of oil can be used. In example, peanut , olive, other or other oils can be used and are potentially much healthier
A few drops of vanilla extract is totally optional, but it adds a nice touch and flavour to the recipe. Just be sure to use a fairly good brand to get the quality. Almond oil would be nice, as well.
Be sure to use a good quality cocoa, too. I have experienced some less expensive brands and they seem to have a bit of a strange taste to them.
People commonly wonder why cornstarch is used in the recipe. It makes a more tender and softer cookie. They also hold their shape much better while cooking. It does not, however, alter the taste in any way.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 1/2 cup (1 cup or 113 grams) of unsalted butter
- 2/3 of a cup (130 grams) of white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 4 – 5 drops of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) of cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) of unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp or a pinch of salt
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until a smooth mixture forms.
- Add in the vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Sift in the flour, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt and mix until a dough forms.
- Wrap the cookie in dough in some cling wrap and let it rest in the fridge for about half and hour.
- Preheat you oven to 175 F or 190 C.
- After half an hour, roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment paper until it is about 1/4 in thick.
- Using a cookie cutter of your choice, punch out the cookies. You might have to re-roll the dough a couple of times.
- Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Place them in the oven to bake for 7 or 8 minutes.
- Put the cookies on a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy your chocolate sugar cookies.