Ghostly Beef Stew
Ghostly beef stew is delicious and easy to make. I find that the spicing in the stew is out of this world. The mashed potatoes that are piped over the top to add a spooky and cute effect. They are also delicious. This is a great dish served up for dinner during Halloween week. It is great served up with some dinner rolls and our Halloween cup cakes for dessert.
Stewing beef works best for the recipe. Just about any cut of beef can be used, however. If you are using a cut of beef that requires you to cube it, slice it into bit size bits as it will be tender. I like to use fresh vegetables for the dish. Canned peas can be used, but fresh peas are the best. You can get away with using only one red or green bell pepper. I like the combined taste of both peppers, and the red pepper adds a nice appearance to the dish. Try to get your button mushrooms as fresh as possible, as well. Make sure the stew simmers for the full 1 hour and 20 minutesto ensure the maximum tenderness is achieved.
- 1 lb of stewing beef
- 1 large carrot cut into chunks
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 3/4 tsp of parsley (optional)
- 3/4 tsp of rosemary (optional)
- 3/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 – 5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch diluted and 2 tablespoons of water
- mashed potatoes
- Servings: 3-4
- Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: American
(5 / 5)
- Heat the cooking oil, over medium heat, in a pan. Add in the onion and garlic, and sauté them until they’re fragrant. Add in the stewing beef and fry it until it becomes brown. This will take about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the beef, onion, and garlic to a pot. Add in the beef stock, parsley, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Allow it to come to a boil over high heat. Stir it until the spices are well combined.
- Reduce the heat to low, place a lid on, and simmer it for one hour.
- Add in the carrots, bell peppers, and the mushrooms. Continue to simmer it over low heat for an additional 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- In the meantime, boil and mash the potatoes. To do this, refer to our mashed potatoes recipe.
- Once the carrots are tender,add in the diluted cornstarch and continuously stir until the sauce thickens.
- Ladle the stew into a bowl.
- Add the mashed potatoes to a piping bag with a large tip. Pipe one or two ghostly silhouettes of mashed potatoes on top of the beef stew. If you don’t have a piping bag, you can use a zip lock bag with a hold cut in the corner. Use some red bell peppers or peas for the eyes.
- Serve and enjoy your ghostly beef stew.