Spider pizza is a great Halloween treat. It is easy and fun to make. You can be as creative as you want and the kids will love it. I usually serve this up during Halloween week. You might want to try our Spook cupcakes with this.
You can make the pizza dough from scratch or buy a premade shell from your local supermarket. Black pitted olives work the best. The most important tip when making this, is to allow the pizza to bake for only 7 minutes. After that, remove it from the oven, design the spiders on top, and place it back in the oven for an additional 7 minutes. If you don’t do this, the olives will sink into the cheese while its baking, and your spiders will disappear in the land of mozzarella. You can be as creative as you like when making this pizza. The decorative options are certainly not limited to spiders. You can make whatever shapes you wish.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
For the Dough:
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- extra flour for dusting
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2/3 cup fo warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 pack (4 g) of instant yeast
For Optional Toppings:
- pizza sauce (Read our homemade pizza sauce recipe)
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- mozzarella cheese
- black olives sliced
- 9-12 inch pizza pan
- Servings: 3-4
- Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Level: Advanced
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Mix the sugar and yeast in warm water at about 110 degrees F. Stir until until it is combined. Place it in a warm area and allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes until it becomes foamy and bubbly.
- Add the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Whisk until they are combined well. Add in the yeast mixture and olive oil. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, mix until a dough forms.
- Lightly flour a surface. Put the dough on and knead it until it’s elastic like. This will take approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Drizzle a little more olive oil in a mixing bowl – enough to coat the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the dough into the bowl and swirl it until it’s nicely coated. Using Saran wrap, cover the bowl , and set aside it in a warm place for one hour or until it doubles in size.
- When it has doubled in size, remove the wrap. Gently punch the dough using your fingers. Using a cutter or a knife, slice the dough into two equal halves. Form each half into a ball.
- Put the dough on a floured surface and dust it with flour. Flatten it using your palm and rotate it until it reaches the size of your pizza pan. Do the same process for the second half of the dough.
- Coat the pizza pan with baking spray. Transfer the dough onto the pan. Use a fork to poke some holes in the bottom so it doesn’t bubble up while it’s baking.
- Swirl some sauce on the pizza. Begin this process in the center and work toward the outside edges. Add the grated mozzarella cheese, basil, and the pepperoni. Bake the pizza in a 475°F preheated oven for about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the black olives in half for the spider body. Slice other black olives thinly for the legs. Set them aside.
- After 7 minutes, remove the pizza from the oven. Decorate the spiders over it using the sliced black olives. Put back in the oven and bake for another 7-8 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!