Caramel popcorn is so incredibly simple to make, and it is so tasty. Believe it or not, it is not really made with caramel but rather butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup which creates a caramel flavour. Give the recipe a try and let us know what you think.
This recipe uses a touch of vanilla extract in the recipe, but it is entirely optional. I just find it adds a nice touch of flavour. If you are going to use it, use a good quality of extract as it makes all the difference in the world.
An important tip is when cooking the caramel flavouring not to stir it. You can swoosh it around in the bottom of the pan but be sure not to stir it.
Several types of popcorn can be used as the base: microwavable, popcorn popper, or stovetop. All of these mentioned are fine. Just ensure they are fully popped. The recipe is good for about 4 tablespoons of corn.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 1 bag of microwavable popcorn or 4 tbsp of popping corn
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 stick, half cup, or 113 grams of butter
- 1/4 cup of corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- Pop the kernels according to package instructions and set them aside to cool.
- Add the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla extract to a pot. Stir until fairly well combined.
- Over medium heat, let it melt down until large bubbles form – do not stir it.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add in the baking soda, and stir until the mixture becomes light and airy.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn and mix until they popcorn is coated.
- Spread it out onto a baking sheet lined with some parchment paper, spread it out evenly, and allow it to set.
- Serve and enjoy your caramel popcorn.