Chicken jalapeno mac & cheese is incredibly delicious. The chicken combined with the creamy homemade cheese sauce and the heat from the jalapeno makes it just out of this world. Believe me, it will be an instant hit with friends and family. This will also keep in the fridge for a few days, so it makes a great leftover for lunch. Give our chicken jalapeno mac & cheese a try and let us know what you think.
There are a few tips to making up this delicious recipe. First, you can use any kind of chicken, but I find boneless skinless chicken breasts work the best. Make sure the breasts are room temperature which will allow them to cook evenly. When making the cheese sauce, you can use any kind of cheese, but I prefer a nice sharp cheddar because it gives an extra blast of cheesy flavor. We find one jalapeno gives sufficient heat, but if you love lots of heat, add in another pepper. Any type of noodle can be used in this recipe, but I prefer elbow noodles as it makes traditional mac & cheese.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 2 cups of elbow noodles
- salt and pepper
- 2 Jalapenos, Chopped
- In a pot, bring some water to boil.
- Place the chicken in, reduce the heat to medium low, and allow it to poach for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook one and a half cups of macaroni elbow noodles according to package instructions.
- Remove the chicken from the water and use two forks to shred it into pieces. Set it aside in a bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and milk. Whisk until they’re well combined.
- Add half the mixture to the pan and bring to a boil. Whisk constantly, over medium-high heat until it begins to thicken. Add in the second half of the mixture and continue to whisk until it thickens once again. You’ll know the mixture is thickened because you’ll feel some drag on the whisk. Add the cheese in, whisk once again until everything is well incorporated.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pan from the store. Put the macaroni noodles, jalapeno peppers, and chicken into the cheese mixture.
- Using two spoons, toss until everything is well combined.
- Serve and enjoy your chicken jalapeno mac & cheese.