Chicken lollipops are a fantastic alternative to traditional chicken wings. Initially, they are a little tricky to prepare. But if you follow the steps below, you should be fine. Once you have the hang of it, you are off to the races. I enjoy these tasty chicken treats as a snack on weekends. They also make a great finger food for parties.
We use some fairly simple spices in this recipe. You can, however, adjust the seasoning according to your taste. For example, if you are a garlic lover, you can add more. If you don’t like garlic, you can simply leave it out. If you like your wings hot, you may want to consider some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
It’s important to heat the oil to 350 degree F and then lower it; otherwise, you will burn the chicken. It is also important to fry the chicken in as few batches as possible as the consistency of the oil changes with each batch. In other words, the oil for the second batch will be thinner or less viscous than that of the first. In light of this, the meat will cook faster. It is ideal to deep fry the lollipops in one batch if your pot is big enough.
I like to serve my chicken lollipops up with some Thai chilli sauce. You can use your favourite sauce, however.
- 1 kilo of chicken wings
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Servings: 5
- Level: Intermediate
- Time: 40 minutes
- Cuisine: Indian
- Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken wing in half at the joint between the drumstick and the wing. Separate them and set the wing portion aside. Make a circular cut , separating the meat from the bone, around the top of the drumstick. It should be about an inch or so from the top. Push the flesh down to the bottom. Then pick the drumstick up and pull the skin over of the meat. This should be done in a downward motion using the tips of your fingers. Set it aside.
- Pick up the wing portion. Cut the smallest part of the wing tip off. There are two bones in the wing which form a v shape. Make a cut between the bones. Pull the flesh away from the smaller bone, pull the bone out, and discard it. As you did with the drumstick, make a circular cut at the top of the bone, push the meat down towards the bottom, and pull the skin over the meat. Set it aside with the drumstick.
- Repeat this process for the remaining wings, and set them aside on a plate
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Using your hands, toss the chicken a few times to make sure it is fully covered with the seasoning.
- Place the all purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Season it with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until it’s well combined.
- Add the egg whites to a second bowl, and the bread crumbs to a third bowl.
- Dredge the chicken lollipops in the flour, egg whites, and bread crumbs, in that order. Make sure that they are fully covered with each mixture.
- Place the vegetable oil into a deep pot. Heat it to about 350 degrees F. Once the oil reaches temperature, back the heat off to low. Place the chicken lollipops in and fry them, in batches, for about 8 to 10 minutes or until they’re golden brown. Set them aside on a plate.
- Serve you chicken lollipops up with your favorite sauce and enjoy.