Mocha flavor Leche flan is a delicious dessert that originated in Spain. It is commonly known as “Flan de Leche”. It is similar to traditional Filipino Leche Flan, but Mocha Flavor is used. Mocha is one the best flavors of all leche flans, but locals haven’t really discovered how delicious it is.
The steps to making mocha flavor leche flan are similar to that of the original leche flan by using the processes of combining, stirring, and steaming. It is really easy to make. If you have your favorite coffee on hand, such as powdered coffee, espresso, cappuccino, or latte, use it. The more coffee you add, the stronger the flavor will be. We prefer it not too strong as it will be too overpowering. If you want something new and want to taste a unique flavor of leche flan, this recipe is for you.
- 1 can 370 ml evaporated milk
- 1 can 300 ml condensed milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract or lemon essence
- 1 tbsp powdered coffee
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Servings: 4
- Time: 40 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino
- Mix the sugar and water and bring it to a boil. Allow it to boil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelizes.
- Pour the caramelized sugar into aluminum molds of any shape. Make sure just a thin amount of the mixture is covering the entire mold or container. Set it aside.
- Mix the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks, and vanilla using a wire whisk or fork until they are well combined.
- Add about 1 tbsp of powdered coffee in (depending on how strong you prefer it) and mix evenly.
- Pour the mixture on top of the caramel in the aluminum molds. Fill the molds to about 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick. Cover the molds individually with aluminum foil.
- Steam them over low heat for about 30 – 35 minutes. Baking is another option, as well. If you do this, place the the molds in a larger baking pan half filled with water before baking them. Bake them in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for at least 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Remove them from oven and allow them to cool completely. Cover the mold with a platter and flip it over quickly. Remove the mold.
- Let it cool then refrigerate it. Serve and enjoy your mocha flavor leche flan!