Pineapple upside down cake is a fabulous and colorful dessert topped with pineapples slices and cherries. It’s also sometimes referred to as pineapple cherry upside down cake. It is called upside down cake because the toppings are literally placed in the bottom of the pan, and the cake needs to be flipped over when it is done. This cake is truly appetizing and quite appealing to the eye. When you see the colorful top part of the cake, you will definitely want to grab it, slice it, and take a big bite of it. You can also be artistic in your own way by designing the top the way you want.
The challenging part of making this dessert is the flipping. Sometimes, the pineapple will stick to the bottom of the pan after you flip it. But wait! Its not a disaster at all, you can simply arrange the pineapples and fix it up the best as you can. Don’t worry it is not as complicated as you think. It’s actually super easy. Make this cake this weekend, I’m pretty sure your effort will pay off.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) shortening or (softened butter)
- 1 raw egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp reserved pineapple juice
- 4-6 sliced pineapple
- 5-8 fresh cherries
- Servings: 3-4
- Time: 1 hour
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Pour the melted butter in a 9 inch cake pan and swirl evenly. Sprinkle the brown sugar all over making sure it’s distributed well.
- Place the sliced pineapples side by side. Top with cherries in the holes between each piece of pineapple. (You can design according to your own preferences.) Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the shortening and sugar using a hand mixer or whisk until creamy. (You can use butter if you don’t have shortening) .Add the egg, vanilla extract, pineapple juice, and milk. Mix until smooth and well incorporated.
- Add in the flour mixture and slowly whisk using an electric mixer until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter over the pan containing the pineapples. Smooth the top using a spoon or spatula.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for at least 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Loosen the edges of the cake pan using a sharp knife. Cover the cake pan with a larger platter and quickly flip it over. Tap the bottom of the cake pan using your fingers or any utensil. Gently lift the pan off the cake. (Sometimes the pineapple will stick to the bottom of the pan, so fix it up the best you can.)
- Allow to cool and slice into serving pieces. Enjoy!