Cowboy casserole is a simple and delicious ground beef dish. It is a combination of hamburg, baked beans, chopped garlic, onion, corn, bbq sauce, salt, pepper, Bisquick, and cheese. Garnished with parsley flakes, it is simply to die for . Believe me, your family and friends will love it.
The great thing is, it is another dish that can be made up in about half an hour which makes it a great midweek meal. If you have leftovers, it is great for lunches. Of course, you can vary the ingredients to meet your tastes. For example, I add canned baked beans with molasses, but you can use your favourite beans. The same applies to the bbq sauce. Some canned tomatoes certainly would not go amiss either. Just make sure they are drained as you do not want the casserole too sloppy. In my opinion, the corn is great but use any type of veggie can be used.
Try our cowboy casserole and, as always, let us know what you think.Watch the Cowboy Casserole Video:
- 1 pound of half a kg or lean ground beef
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- ½ small chopped onion
- 1 400 ml can of baked beans or beans in molasses
- 340 ml can of peaches and cream canned corn or the corn of your choice
- ½ cup of bbq sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 320 gram box of bisquick combined with ¾ cup of milk
- ½ cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 -2 tsp of dried parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 F or 220 C.
- Add the ground beef to a pan over medium high heat. Fry for 4 or 5 minutes until heated through.
- Add in the garlic and onions. Saute for another couple of minutes.
- Put the beans, corn, salt, and pepper in. Stir until well combined. Cook over medium hight heat until heated through.
- Place the mixture in a casserole dish.
- Make the bisquick by combining the powder with the milk. Mix until a dough forms.
- Using an ice cream scoop or two spoons, scoop up some of the bisquick and place it over the mixture. You will get about 12 balls out of a package.
- Place the casserole in the oven and bake for about 18 minutes or until the bisquick is golden brown.
- Spread the cheese over the top and garnish with the parsley.
- Serve and enjoy your cowboy casserole.