Apple pie turnovers are simple and easy. They can be done in a matter of a few minutes. I serve them up with some ice cream with a drizzle of syrup. Believe me, everybody will love them. They are great with a cup of coffee or tea.
There are a few adjustment to the recipe. For example, we use fresh apple, but you can use apple pie filling. We try to keep the recipe as simple as possible by just using cinnamon. Nutmeg can to used as well.
Apple Pie Turnovers
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 4 peeled apples of your choice
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 450 grams of puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tbsp of water
- 2 tsp of granulated sugar
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F or 200 C.
- Cut the apples into bite size chunks and remove the cores.
- Add the butter to a sauce pan and melt it down.
- Put the brown sugar, cinnamon, and water in. Allow it to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Place the corn starch in and let it thicken.
- Put the mixture in the fridge and let it cool completely.
- In the mean time, flour a work surface with some four and place the puff pastry on. Add a bit more flour over the top.
- Slice each piece into 4 sections.
- Mix the egg and water together.
- Brush the edges of each section of pastry with the egg wash.
- Place a heaping table spoon or two into the centre and fold one edge over the other until a triangle forms. Push down the edges with your hands.
- Place some flour on a fork and, using the fork, seal the edges more.
- Put the turnovers on a baking pan lined with a mat or some parchment paper.
- Slice about three slits into the top of each one and brush the tops with more egg wash.
- Add some granulated sugar over the top.
- Place in the oven and allow them to bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your apple pie turnovers.