Beef ribs caldereta (kaldereta) is one of the most popular Filipino beef dishes. It is made with beef, tomato sauce, and other seasonings. This is usually served during fiestas and other occasions such as birthdays, weddings, and christenings. Caldereta is often spicy, which is why it has become one of the most popular beer matches in the country. The authentic caldereta usually uses goat meat. Because goat meat is not available in everyday living, beef and pork can be substituted. Any cut of meat will do, but the best cut is ribs or any part that has bones.
This dish has several variations, depending on the provinces where it came from. There are many other recipes which do not call for carrots, potatoes, or green peas. Ketchup is also a great substitute for tomato sauce. To make the sauce become thicker and creamier, we add liver spread and cheddar cheese. This makes it absolutely delicious. Give it a try, and you will certainly not regret it.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1/2 kg beef ribs (short ribs)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp liver spread
- 3 tbsp pickle relish
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- 1 medium potato, cut in bite size
- 1 small carrot cut in bite size
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- pepper to taste
- Servings: 5
- Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Add cooking oil in a preheated pan. Saute onion, garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Put in beef ribs and saute until light brown. Season with soy sauce and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Pour in water and add bay leaves in. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for at least 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
- When tender, add in tomato sauce, carrots, potatoes, green peas, chili peppers, and pickle relish. Stir until combined. Simmer 5 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are partially tender.
- Then, add the bell peppers and liver spread. Stir well until well incorporated. Sprinkle with cheese Stir and allow the cheese to incorporate well and sauce thickens.
- Serve and enjoy!