Cashew chicken is a simple American Chinese recipe that can be done in about 30 minutes. In light of the time it takes to make the dish, it is a fantastic midweek recipe. I often make it up at least every couple of weeks.
You can change the recipe in several way. To begin with, you can whatever cashews you like. There are salted, unsalted, roasted, chopped jumbo, etc. It depends on what you can find or what you have on hand.
Chicken stock or vegetable stock can be used. If you are not a fan of either, water can be used. Feel free to use the stock of your choice. It is always great to make the stock from scratch, but the cubes or packets will suffice.
In light of the sauce, the amount of oyster sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and soy sauce can be varied but don’t add too much. The corn starch is critical as it makes the sauce thicken.
The recipe uses boneless, skinless breasts because the are healthy and so easy to work with, but any cut of chicken can be used. Just make sure you alter the cooking time accordingly.
In this recipe, we use red and green bell peppers, but yellow or just one type can be used. The amount of ginger and garlic can be altered too. If you want, you can add onion as well.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- For the Sauce:
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp of corn starch
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 4 – 5 drops of sesame oil
- For the Main Dish:
- 1 cup of cashews (toasted or salted)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks of chopped celery
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 thumb size chopped ginger
- 4 red hot chillies
- To Make the Sauce:
- Combine the chicken stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, corn starch, brown sugar, and sesame oil. Mix until well combined and set aside.
- Add some oil to a pan over medium high heat.
- Place the cashews in and fry for a few minutes, and set them aside.
- In the same pan, add a bit more oil, put the chicken in, and fry it until cooked through. This should take 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and ginger, stir and fry until fragrant.
- Put the red, green bell peppers, celery, cashews, and the chillies in. Toss until the vegetables are tender crisp.
- Add the sauce in, bring it to a boil, and stir until it thickens.
- Plate, sever, and enjoy you cashew chicken.