Chicken bicol express is a variation of traditional bicol express. It is made with chicken, shrimp paste, chilis, and coconut milk. It is commonly hot or spicy and rich and is a great appetizer or beer match (pulutan). It is perfect served for lunch or dinner. One night we were rushing to cook dinner and came up with this idea. We thought chicken would be a great substitute for pork. Believe it or not, you will hardly notice that the dish is made with chicken. Meaning, it is similar in taste to pork for some reason. The fantastic thing is it is healthier than pork, and everybody loves chicken. Some people don’t like shrimp paste, but we love it, so it is used it in the recipe. If you have bird’s eye (siling labuyo) that would be even better in order to make the dish spicier and have a little more kick. In this recipe, we use green onions for an additional ingredient. However, if you have green beans, string beans, egg plant, or squash, you can add them if you wish. If you have coconut milk in you kitchen, get your chicken out and make this dish. You will enjoy this recipe without a doubt.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 3 large boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4-5 green and red hot chillies, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 thumb size ginger, chopped
- 1 can (1 1/2 cup) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup spring or green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Servings: 4
- Time: 45 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Filipino
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Add cooking oil to a preheated pan. Saute onion, garlic and ginger until soft and fragrant.
- Put in chicken and saute for a few minutes until light brown.
- Season with shrimp paste and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Pour in coconut milk, add in the chopped chilies, and stir. Simmer over medium low heat for at least 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle in the spring or green onions and stir until well combined. Turn off heat.
- Serve and enjoy!