Chicken laksa is one of the most popular curry soup dishes throughout South East Asia. It is especially popular in counties such as Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and Thailand. It is made with coconut milk, laksa paste, and various choices of meat. It is always garnished with bean sprouts, mint, lime and coriander. Laksa paste is similar to curry paste and adds a distinct taste and flavor similar to that of coconut milk. It is commonly sold at most Asian stores. This dish has many variations depending on what country and area it is cook in. One of the most common laksa ingredients is fish such as mackerel and eel.
The smell of laksa makes a very aromatic odor when cooking. It is all you can do to keep from grabbing the soup and tasting it. It is simply exotic and savory compared to other Asian cuisines. Laksa paste is the key ingredient, you can find it in any Asian store in bottles. Make sure you buy an extra bottle, as you will use the whole bottle to make one family dish. However, it can be reduced depending on your preferences. Vermicelli, rice noodles, or egg noodles can be used. In this recipe, we use egg noodles and they suffice. Garnishes are optional, bean sprouts and mint leaves are perfect, however. Coriander and lime leaves are also good substitutes. This dish also primarily adds tofu puffs, but we couldn’t locate them. I know you can’t wait to try this. You will love this recipe for sure!
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 3 large boneless chicken breast fillets
- 1/2 cup laksa paste
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Asian rice or egg noodles
- cooking oil
- bean sprouts (recommended)
- crushed chili peppers
- fried shallots
- mint leaves, coriander, or lime leaves
- lime wedges
- spring onions
- Servings: 3-4
- Time: 50 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Malaysian
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Add cooking oil in a preheated pan. Put in chicken and stir and fry until light brown. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the laksa paste. Stir over medium heat until fragrant – approximately 1 minute.
- Pour in coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil.
- After a boil, place the chicken back in. Season with fish sauce, lime juice, and a little bit of brown sugar. Stir until nicely combined. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside in bowl.
- Pour laksa soup over and top bean sprouts. Garnish with mint or lime leaves, and chili peppers. You can also add coriander leaves, fried shallots, or lime wedges if you wish.
- Serve and enjoy!