Chicken and potato casserole is a fantastic comfort food. I especially enjoy it on a cool rainy day. The great thing is, most of the ingredients you’ll have on hand. The dish makes another great midweek meal as it can be made in a little over an hour. Give it a try and let us know what you think of our chicken and potato casserole.
There are a few variations to making this recipe. First, as with many of our recipes, we use boneless skinless breasts but feel free to use any cut of chicken. In terms of the potatoes used, I like russets, but you can use your favourite potato. The dish can be salt and peppered according to your liking, but one of the secrets to the recipe is lots of pepper. A bit of garlic can be used, as well. You can use light or whole sour cream depending on how diet conscious you are. Just about any brand of cream of mushroom soup can be used. The same applies to the cheese. Keep in mind, however, the better the quality of the ingredients, the better the dish will be. Forty five minutes in the oven is about perfect, but what you really want is for the potatoes to be fork tender. Your chicken and potato casserole will keep nicely in the fridge for a few days too.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 2 to 3 chicken breasts
- 1 can of mushroom soup
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp of parsley flakes for garnish
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F or 177 C.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Use a fair amount of pepper as it makes the dish really nice.
- Place them in a preheated pan with some oil and fry them over medium high heat for about 8 minutes or until they are fully cooked.
- Cut the breasts into cubes and set them aside in a bowl.
- Add in the potatoes, mushroom soup, sour cream, and 1 cup of cheese. Season it with some salt and pepper and stir until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add it to your favourite casserole dish and smooth it out.
- Place it in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Garnish it with the parsley flakes, seve, and enjoy your chicken and potato casserole.
Do leftovers freeze well
Hi Sandra. I think it would be just fine. You will just have to watch the cream. Let us know.
Can you substitute the cream of mushroom with something else ?
Hi. You can use cream of chicken, just cream or anything like that. Hope this helps.
Do you need to cook the potatoes at all before adding to the mix, or just throw them in raw?
Hi Logan. I just put them into the mix as they were cubed small. Your could do a bit of a pre-boil though if you wish. Just for a few minutes. Hope this helps.
Looks delicious! Thanks!
Hi Judy. Thanks so much. Hope you try it and enjoy.