Homemade pizza is one of my favorites. Admittedly, there are a lot of good pizza outlets such as Domino’s and Pizza Hut which make incredibly delicious pizza. When you make pizza from scratch, however, there is just something distinct about it. The great thing about homemade pizza is you can put just about anything on it. In this recipe, everything is made from scratch. It is relatively fast and inexpensive with the exception of the dough which can be a little time-consuming. The outcome, however, is well worth the effort. You can make your own pizza sauce, but it is probably just as easy to go to the supermarket and buy your favorite sauce. Read our page if you like to make pizza sauce from scratch. Personally, I like to use extra sauce as it brings the pizza to life and it doesn’t dry out. If you don’t like pepperoni, you can use ham or any type of meat for that matter. On the other hand, you can have no meat and make it a vegetarian pizza. You can also make Hawaiian pizza, meat lovers pizza, pepperoni pizza, and cheese pizza. The list is endless. It simply involves experimenting with the toppings.
Another great thing about homemade pizza is you can adjust the crust according to your liking. Some people prefer a thick crust, whereas others people prefer thin crust. If you are really adventurous, you can make a deep dish pizza or a cheese crust pizza. Another advantage is the choice of cheeses. Along with using the traditional mozzarella cheese, you could try that cheddar or Monterey Jack. Whatever toppings you decide on, your friends and family will love your homemade pizza.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
For the Dough:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- extra flour for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 pack (4 g) instant yeast
For Optional Toppings:
- Pizza sauce (Read our homemade pizza sauce recipe)
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, sliced
- chopped onions
- pineapple chunks
- meat (ex. peperoni, ground beef, chicken)
- mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- black olives
- “9-12 inch” pizza pan
- Servings: 2
- Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Level: Advanced
- Cuisine: Italian, American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Add the sugar and yeast to the water. Stir until until they are combined well. Place the mixture in a warm area and allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. When it is foamy and bubbly, it is ready .
- Add the flour and salt to a mixing bowl. Whisk until they are combined well. Add the yeast mixture and vegetable oil into the dry mixture. Using a spatula, mix until a dough forms
- Lightly flour a surface. Put the dough on and knead it until it’s elastic like. Put a little more oil in a mixing bowl – enough to coat the sides and bottom. Add the dough into the bowl and drizzle a little more vegetable oil on top of it. Give it a brush so it covers the dough’s surface completely. Using Saran wrap cover the bowl , and place it in a warm area for one hour or until it doubles in size.
- When it has doubled in size, remove the wrap. To release the air, gently punch the dough using your fist. Using a cutter or a knife, slice the dough into two equal halves. Form each half into a ball.
- Put the dough on a floured surface and make it into the size and shape of the pizza you desire. Do the same process for the second half of the dough. Put it on a greased pizza pan. Use a fork to poke some holes in the bottom so it doesn’t bubble while baking.
- Swirl some sauce on the pizza. Begin this process in the center and work toward the outside edges. Add your favorite toppings in the following order: mozzarella, parmesan, meat, onions, pineapple, black olives, red and green bell peppers.
- Bake the pizza in a 475°F preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- When the pizza is baked, cute it into serving pieces and enjoy.