Hummingbird cake is moist, rich, and decadent. easy and delicious. In spite of the number of ingredients it requires, it is fairly straightforward and easy to make. On a note of trivia, many say it is called hummingbird cake due to its sweetness. It is a great recipe for birthdays or get together. I usually make on weekends, as I enjoy it with my Sunday dinner.
There are some baking tips to this recipe. First, it’s important to sift the ingredients. This creates a smooth, fluffy, moist cake. Depending on your oven the cake should take 50 minutes to an hours to bake. If a toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean, you’ll know it’s done. It’s also important to use crushed pineapples. If you can’t find them, you can finely chop or crush up some pineapple chunks. If you’re really energetic, you could use fresh pineapple; although having the syrup is, in many ways. critical to a successful outcome. If the frosting is a little on the dry side, simply add a little more butter or a bit of milk. If it’s too runny, add a little more sugar.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
For the Cakes:
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
- 1 can of crushed pineapples (8 oz)
- 2 cups of mashed bananas
- 1 cup of crushed walnuts
For the frosting:
- 1 8 oz pack of cream cheese
- 4 tbsp of softened butter
- 2 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Servings: 5
- Level: Advance
- Time: 3 hours
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Method:[/btn]
- Sift the flour,brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a mixing bowl. Using a whisk, mix everything until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the vegetable oil, crushed pineapple (with the juices), and the bananas.. Add in the flour mixture. Using a spatula, fold everything together until well combined (do not use an electric mixer or over mix it). Add in the walnuts and give it another fast fold.
- Spray 3 nine inch cake pans with baking spray. Pour the mixture into the cake pans and bake them for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool.
- Make the frosting by combining all the ingredients together in a bowl.Beat or whisk until smooth and creamy. Add a tablespoon of milk to meet the consistency you prefer.
- Place a generous layer of the frosting over the first cake. Smooth it out and place the second cake on top. Add another layer and spread it out. Add the last cake and frost the top and sides.
Cut, serve, and enjoy your hummingbird cake.