Pata tim is an adapted Filipino recipe made by slow boiling a front pork leg and serving it with a delicious, thick sauce. It is commonly found at larger social gatherings, as the recipe will serve many people. This dish is a cousin of lechon paksiw and paksiw na pata. All has sweet in taste but different in type of meat and ingredients. You can order this in a family restaurant, but the cost can be high because it serves large portion. Pork leg considerably high on fat. For healthier result, you can cut off the fat if you wish. You can also discard the first boil to remove the scum and cholesterol like what we did in the video. If you have large acquaintances coming to your house this week end. This dish is perfect for you.
btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 1/2 kilo pata or 1/2 pork leg
- 1 bundle bokchoy leaves
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 900 ml pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 tbsp water
- whole pepper corns
- water enough to cover the meat
- Servings: 6
- Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- In big pot, place pork leg. Add water enough to cover the meat and bring to boil. Discard the first boil.
- Put back the meat in a pot and pour in pineapple juice, soy sauce, sugar, bay leaves, pepper corns, garlic, onions, star anise and water. Add enough water to cover the meat.
- Simmer over low heat approximately 2-4 hours or until meat is tender and falling off the bone. Pressure cooker might take 1 hour only. Flip pata to every half an hour to avoid sticking on the pot and add more water if necessary.
- When meat is tender and the liquid is reduced, remove pata from the pot and set aside. Keep at least 2 cups of sauce.
- Pour in diluted cornstarch in the sauce and continuously stirring over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- When sauce thickens, place bokchoy leaves in. Let leaves soak for a few minutes until they become soft. Turn off heat.
- On a platter, place in pata tim and pour the sauce over. Arrange vegetables on the side. Enjoy!