Pita bread is common in the Middle East and many other Mediterranean areas. It is, in some ways, similar to a Mexican tortilla, but it is thicker, heavier, and somewhat richer. Personally, it is one of my favorite breads because of its taste and versatility. There are so many applications for Pita bread. For example, it can be used to make sandwiches, pizzas, shawarmas, pancakes, and many other things. Its texture is soft and chewy, and its taste this wheat – like and alluring.
This bread is cooked at a fairly high temperature which gives it the air pockets and puffy appearance. Baking the bread for 3 to 4 minutes will produce a soft, chewy pita, whereas baking it for 6 to 8 minutes will produce a firm crunchy pita. In this recipe, we suggest 4 minutes as that seems to produce the perfect bread for our taste. But you can experiment with making the perfect bread for your taste. Pita bread is quick, easy, and fun to make. Try some today. We are sure you will enjoy it.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 package yeast
- 3/4 cup water (room temperature)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Servings: 4
- Time:1 hour 20 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Arabic
- In a mixing bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and sugar. Mix until combined. Set aside in warm place for at least 5 -10 minutes until foamy and bubbly.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt. Pour in olive oil and yeast mixture. Mix using a wooden spoon until a dough forms (add more water if the dough is too dry and flour if its too wet).
- Place the dough on a floured surface. Knead for at least 5 minutes until it becomes a smooth, elastic ball. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth, and allow it to sit in warm place for at least 1 hour or until it doubles its size.
- After and hour, punch the dough in the middle to let the air escape. Divide it into 4 equal parts. Flatten the dough, one at a time, using your palm, and roll it out using a roiling pin to about 1/8 of an inch thick and 6-8 inches in diameter.
- Place the flattened dough on an upside down baking tray. For soft Pita bread, bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for at least 4 minutes (for crispy pita bread bake for at least 6 minutes).
- Remove from the oven serve.
[…] pita is a delicious Middle Eastern sandwich made with chicken, pocket pita bread, fresh vegetables toppings, and cucumber dressing. It is commonly found on a rotisserie in any […]