Spam fries are so simple and tasty. This recipe takes a simple can of Spam and elevates it to the next level. I usually serve these tasty little fries up as a finger food at parties. They make a great little snack on the weekends, as well. Of course, they are a huge hit with the kids.
As with all recipes, there are a few tips to making Spam fries. You can cut them into any shape you want. I usually cut the Spam into about 15 pieces so they resemble wedge fries. You can use any spices you want to season the flour. I like the paprika, garlic, and pepper, but you can let your imagination and taste buds run wild. When doing the dredging, I use my hands for the flour and breadcrumb stations. I use tongs for the egg station, however, as it can get a little messy. You want about 2 inches of oil in the bottom of a fairly large frying pan. The temperature should be about 350 degrees F. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can drop a small bit of flour in, if it sizzles and bubbles, you’ll know the oil is up to temperature. Lastly, if you want the Spam fries a little healthier, you can use Spam light.
- 1 can of Spam, cut into about 15 wedges
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 4 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- Cut the Spam into the shape of French fries – about 15 wedge fries. Set them aside.
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl. Add in the paprika, garlic, and pepper. Stir until it’s well combined. Crack the eggs into a second bowl, and the put the bread crumbs in the third bowl.
- Using tongs or your hands, dredge the spam in the flour and roll it until it’s well coated. Next, put it in the egg mixture. Lastly, dredge it in the bread crumbs. Set the pieces aside on a plate.
- Add some oil to a frying pan. You’ll need it about 2 inches deep. Over medium high heat, bring the oil up to about 350 degrees F. If you don’t have a thermometer, sprinkle a small bit of flour in the oil. If it sizzles and bubbles, the oil is up to temperature. Place the spam fries in, in batches, and fry them for about 45 seconds on one side. Using your tongs, flip them, and fry them for an additional 45 seconds on the other side. Set them aside on a plate lined with a paper towel and repeat the process for the remaining batches.
- Add the mayo, dijon mustard, garlic, and lemon juice to a bowl. Mix until it’s well combined.
- Serve and enjoy your Spam fries and dipping sauce.