Baked chicken and zucchini casserole is a delicious combination of zucchini, chicken, tomatoes, mushrooms, and spices. You can made the entire dish up in about an hour. It comes together quickly but the longest part is baking. What I usually do is make it up the night before, cover it, and place it in the fridge. The next day before dinner, pop it in the oven and a few minutes later dinner is served. If you are working and your oven has a timer, the entire process becomes even easier.
As always, there are a few pointer to making the recipe. First thing that does have to be noted is not to add too much of the undrained diced tomatoes. I find just a little over a cup or about 400 ml is lots, otherwise the dish will be too watery. I learned this from personal experience. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts as they are so easy to work with and healthy, but you can use the cut of chicken of your choice. Be sure, however, to adjust the baking time accordingly.
Watch the video and give our baked chicken and zucchini casserole a try. As always, let us know what you think.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Watch Our Video:[/btn]
- 1/2 of a sliced onion
- 3 medium skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small sliced zucchini
- 10 – 12 sliced button mushrooms
- For the Sauce:
- 100 grams or 1 1/2 cups of undrained diced tomatoes
- 1 heaping tsp of crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of dried basil
- 1/2 tsp of flavour explosion
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F or 200 C.
- Place the onions around a casserole dish.
- Put the chicken in and season it with salt and pepper.
- Add the zucchini and mushrooms over the chicken.
- Make the sauce by putting the ingredients into a large measuring cup or small mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover with aluminum foil, place in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle the parmesan over the top.
- Put the dish back in the oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your baked chicken and zucchini casserole.