Chocolate cake is one of everybody’s all time favorites. This recipe produces one of the best cakes I have ever tasted. The frosting is equally delightful. The ingredients for the recipe make 1 single cake, which I find is an adequate severing when frosted. If you want a thick, double cake, simply double the ingredients and use an extra cake pan. You may have to take a knife and trim a little off the cone at the top so the second layer goes on evenly. You can also use this recipe to make some great chocolate muffins. Simply fill a muffin pan about 3/4 of the way full with batter and place it in the oven. When you are frosting the cake, make sure that the cake has cooled completely.
The consistency of the frosting is perfect for my liking. But if you want it a little thicker, add a little more sugar. If you want it a little more runny, add a little more milk. For a very rich frosting, use evaporated milk or heavy whipping cream in place of ordinary milk. I find the icing is rich enough the way it is. When frosting the cake, be sure that you let the cake cool completely. If you don’t, the frosting will become runny and not spread properly.
Serve your chocolate cake up with a nice cup of tea or coffee. Your entire family will love this recipe.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For chocolate frosting:
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp softened butter
- 3 tbsp fresh milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Servings: 6
- Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Level: Advanced
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Mix until combined.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, oil and water. Fold and mix using a hand mixer or spatula until smooth and well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 inch cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for at least 30 – 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Making the Frosting:
- In a separate bowl, combine the confectioner sugar and cocoa powder.
- In another bowl, beat the butter until creamy and floppy. Add half of the cocoa mixture and 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix using an electric mixer or spatula until smooth.
- Add the remaining cocoa mixture and milk. Mix again until smooth and creamy. (Add more milk or sugar if you wish to achieve the desired texture of your chocolate frosting).
- When is the cake is completely cooled, spread the frosting on evenly. Design it according to your taste.
Chill, slice and enjoy!